Self-Portrait of a Leader


            In a Self-Portrait of a Leader exercise, my current drawing has changed in three ways since the beginning of school. First, the hair on my drawing has changed. Curly hair represents the importance of creativity in leadership, while straight hair represents the importance of organization in leadership. In my first drawing, I drew straight hair, but now that I have almost completed the didactic portion of school, I better understand the importance of a balance of creativity and organization in a leader. A leader must be able to think on their feet and creatively deal with unprecedented situations that arise, but it is also important to be prepared and organized.
            I also drew a different nose for my portrait this time. The first time, I drew a triangle nose which means I used to think it was necessary to see yourself as a leader in order to be a leader. This time I drew a circle nose which means I believe that a person can be a leader without seeing himself or herself as a leader. My viewpoint has changed because I have noticed classmates and myself stepping up in situations and being a leader without necessarily knowing that they are taking on the leader role. You can be a leader in small ways without having a leader’s position and title because we all bring something unique to the table.
            The last aspect of my drawing that changed was the addition of a freckle if you believe that self-awareness is vital to effective leadership. This part of the drawing was not in the instructions when I drew my portrait at the beginning of school, but I believe I would have drawn the freckles had they been an option because I think it’s important to know your own strengths and weaknesses in order to use them.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biomechanics Post #3 -- Scapulohumeral Rhythm

History of Disability

Fitting for Assistive Devices